Saturday, January 31, 2015

Nacho - Dec.20, 2014

Hey Family! 

Sorry, I do not have much time because we had to film a video with the office and President's family for the mission Christmas party this next week. We also had to do a few other things for the Christmas activity and then go to work. We have been super busy with that. It will be a lot of fun. So that is why I am writing super late (obviously with President's okay).

foto: wrapping 250 Christmas presents for the Christmas party




So this week, basically, I can sum up the miracles with one word, NACHO. Not the food, the person. So I don't know if I have told you guys about Nacho. He is 9 years old. He is the son of a less active family. He is so incredible. Honestly, he is smarter and understands more than the majority of the adults that we teach. 
Anyways, this week we were teaching him about the restoration and he just soaked it all up. At parts, we stopped to ask him questions and see how he was understanding. He explained things we had not even taught. I asked him "what is repentance?" and he literally gave an answer that was almost directly quoting Preach my Gospel. Yeah. From a 9 year old kid, In every lesson I am left with my jaw dropped in awe. 
After teaching him about the gospel of Jesus Christ and how we have to follow it to be able to live with Heavenly Father again. The next day he was told his grandma to stop saying bad words or she won't be able to enter into the kingdom of God. haha. Then we taught him about the book of Mormon. He ate it up. And the crazy part is, he understands it. We marked for him 3 nephi 11. Then the next day, he said he read it. But later in the lesson, we shared a verse from the end of 3 Nephi 13, and he paused us, "Wait, I already read that verse last night!" so we asked him what he liked, he responded, "It tells us that we need to humble ourselves and become as little children and repent. I like that verse." I couldn't believe it. So he had read like 6 or 7 pages all alone AND he immediately recognized the verse we were going to read. I feel the spirit so much and am so humbled every time I am able to teach him. He is so special.

So the only challenge has been his mother. She wants him to be baptized, but she says "in the future..." and she isn't exactly a huge support in terms of example of living the gospel. So we have been working with her and the ward too to strengthen her. On thursday, we did divisions with the assistants which was awesome. I went with Elder Wade to visit Nacho. After sharing an inspired part from the Book of Mormon, the spirit came flooding into the room. Heavenly Father prepared everything so that we could have that spiritual environment. We then invited to Nacho to pray and to ask Heavenly Father if He wants him to be baptized this Sunday (Nacho was already sure he wanted to, but more for his mom). So Nacho knelt down, waited a few seconds, and then said one of the most simple heartfelt prayers I have ever felt, "Dear Heavenly Father," he said "Should I be baptized this Sunday, the 21st? In the name of Jesus Christ, amen." Then he stayed there on his knees in silence...and waited.... no one dared break the silence nor interrupt the spirit that was working in each of us. After about a minute, I asked Nacho what he felt God wants for him. He responded, "that I should be baptized this Sunday." His mom, slightly in doubt, asked him, "Is this really what you want, do you really want to be baptized this Sunday?". He responded without any hesitation or doubt in his voice, "Yes. I want to be baptized this Sunday." We waited in silence again...and Nacho then repeated, "I want to be baptized this Sunday...I am going to be baptized this Sunday." he said it 3 times, and started to smile a little more every time. I think even the grinch couldn't have helped but be happy seeing Nacho's pure child joy. It was a sacred moment. 
After seeing the smile and genuine joy that came to Nacho's face, his mom was completely in agreement with Nacho's baptism. So Nacho is our miracle. He inspires me. He will be baptized tomorrow. :) 

I am happy. I am so blessed to be here in this sacred time. There is so much work to do. 

I love you all so much! I am excited to talk to you this week! Have the greatest Christmas ever! Share the gift!

Love,

Elder Tenney


No comments:

Post a Comment