Monday, July 28, 2014

Mi amigo Victor!

From: "Tenney, Elder"
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2014 1:22:33 PM
Subject: mi amigo Victor!

hola familia! 

Sorry I don't have much time again... the good news is I am getting better at soccer.We have been waking up at 6 and playing soccer for our exercise which is fun. I made a goal against 2 latinos so that definitely went in my journal.

Anyways, this week was awesome. I was doing a baptismal interview with a 14 year old girl this week and wow, it was one of those many moments where I was just overwhelmingly grateful to be here. This 14 year old girl was so determined to stay faithful in the church. She told me, "it doesn't matter how cold it is, how much it is raining, I will go to church every week." Her name is Maria. She doesn't have much support from her parents, but she goes with her brothers every week to church. Ah, these humble faithful people inspire me. 

This week we worked a lot with Victor to prepare him for his baptism. Victor is incredible. He really is the most humble man I have met on my mission. He read the whole book of gospel principles and is filled with a fire of enthusiasm for the gospel. We were teaching him and his friend Lucas. We asked a question to Lucas and after Lucas answered, Victor said, "I testify of the words of my companion..." and continued to share his own testimony haha. It was so awesome. Saturday, he came to the church for his interview, cleanly shaven, and had taken out his piercing he has had since he was 15. It may not seem like a big deal, but it was something important to Victor. It fills me with such amazement to see changes like that. To see the atonement of Jesus Christ transform someone. 
Sunday finally came, it was such a special day. Victor came to church alone. Victor didn't have a single family member or friend at his baptism because he lost the majority of his friends to follow this path. Really, teaching Victor has been incredible, different than every other investigator I have taught. I feel such a deep love for him. The first time I met him I really felt like I had met him before...now 3 weeks later, we were awaiting his baptism. He looked nervous and like he felt alone. I asked him if we could read something together. We read in Mosiah 18:8, 10,11. At the end, when it talks of the people shouting, "this is the desire of our hearts (to be baptized)..." and they clapped their hands for joy; Victor said, "this is how I feel. This really is the desire of my heart." 
Victor was then baptized, without any of his friends from the last 32 years of his life. But I know how happy his greatest friend is in Heaven. I was so happy for him. I love that man so much. He is a good friend and I know we have been friends for a long long time. 

I know this work is ETERNAL! I want everyone to be there in the Celestial Kingdom, everyone. I love the Savior so much. It is a sacred prviledge to see His grace in my life and the lives of my brothers and sisters.  


I love you all so much! Have a great week!

Love,

Elder Tenney

No comments:

Post a Comment