Sunday, February 2, 2014

El Evangelio bendice a las familias

Subject: El Evangelio bendice a las familias
January 28, 2014

Amada familia,
This week was so good. We definitely finished the transfer well and with all out hearts. We taught more and found more people than we have found in any other week. We saw miracles.

The title of this email means "The Gospel blesses families". I have been teaching that for almost a year now and seen living evidence of that all my life, but this week it hit me even more, in a way I have never felt.

1st of all one day, Elder Goyeneche for his language study was memorizing the section in the restoration, "the gospel blesses families" in English. He asked me to quiz him on it. He then recited it in English, with his argentine accent, describing all the blessings the gospel brings, and how important families are in God's plan. The spirit hit me like a wave, and I felt and knew it was true. I thought of our family and how incredibly blessed we are because of the gospel. I felt so grateful. There is so much power in hearing truth in your native tongue. 

Later, we had a family night with Estela, Emanuel, their 2 kids; along with an amazing family from the ward, familia paz. Looking back just one month ago, this family (emanuel y Estela) was struggling in so many ways. On the night of Christmas Eve, we visited Emanuel, who was alone in his house, because all his family left. Estela had told us she didn't want to come to church or participate because this was not her religion and not what she believed. There was so much tension. One day, we taught her about the importance of going to the church to really know if this is Christ's church, we called a member to ask her to invite Estela to church, and when Sunday came, Estela walked in! That was the start. She then began reading the Book of Mormon personally, later with the family, and praying with the family. Now just weeks later, they are a completely different family. The whole family is happy. The marriage and family that was falling apart is now coming together into the arms of the Savior. 
In the lesson, we talked about their vision with all of this. Where do they want to go with all of these changes? Basically we were trying to help them set their own goals, especially Estela for baptism, because she has told us before she doesnt want us to invite her, she will tell us when she is ready. We talked with them about that, and as we were finishing, Hermano P cut in, "Really, we need to just move forward with this, because she is all ready to be put in the water." I looked to Estela, and asked her, "Estela, is that what you want?" ....."Yes." she replied. Ahhhhhhh. There are very few moments when just one word can instantly fill your heart with indescribable joy, but this was one of them, just hearing her say yes. 
I was so grateful for bold and loving Hermano P, it meant so much more to hear the invitation from a friend rather than the missionaries. We then made specific plans for what they need to do to prepare. They are going to get married in 1 month, and Estela will be baptized on the 1st of march. So much joy. 

I was so happy, but at the same time disappointed that I probably wouldn't be able to be there since transfers were today. I was praying that I could stay in Benavidez one transfer more if it was the will of the Lord, and it looks like it is because I am staying in Benavidez with Elder Goyeneche. 

It has been so incredible to see the gospel blessing families here, that phrase is SO true. The gospel blesses families. I can feel it as I teach familia S about the temple and set goals with them to get there, after years of inactivity. I can feel it as I hear Sonia tell about her daughter who had 12 years old, was the one who told her when she was inactive, "Mom, you made sacred covenants, and you need to live them." Now they are all active. And I can feel it as I listen to 7 year old Cesar (son of Eman. y Estela), telling us how grateful he is that "now all the family goes to church together." I know with all of my heart that the Gospel of Jesus Christ blesses families,  it is the reason for families. It doesn't matter if a family is already happy or is falling apart, if they live the Gospel individually and together, they can fall together into the arms of the Savior, and his love will overflow into their lives. It will overpower any conflict. It will transform them. I know that Jesus Christ lives. I know that families can be together forever if we are forever together with Christ. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

I am so grateful for my family. I love you all so much. Have a wonderful week!

Love, 
Elder Heath Tenney 

No comments:

Post a Comment