Saturday, March 16, 2013

Almost Halfway Through the MTC

  
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2013 12:41:52 PM
Subject: Almost halfway through the MTC!

Hola familia y amigos!
I am almost halfway done at the MTC. I will leave 3 weeks from Monday! SO crazy. Time is going by so fast. I've heard a lot of missionaries say that days at the MTC go by super slow, but for me, now they go super fast because we are constantly doing things and working. It's looking like I will be assigned to serve somewhere stateside first for 6 weeks before heading to Argentina. They have been having lots of problems with Visas. The last group that was going to Argentina only had 3 missionaries out of 50 I think that got their visas in time. So that will be fun to be able to serve stateside first! I'm really excited to go to Argentina, but if I'm not sent there right away theres definitely a reason.  I'm just excited to serve anywhere.
This week was amazing. And theres not any pin point reasons I can think of that made it amazing. I am just happy. The first week I felt like I was working really hard and doing a lot of good, but this week I worked hard and I just felt so much joy throughout the day and even in the moments when I was tired. I think sometimes missionaries (myself included) forget that this work is supposed to be joyful, we are supposed to be happy! And if we really feel and understand the real reasons we are here then we feel that joy. Even in life in general. Heavenly Father's plan for us is called the plan of HAPPINESS! We came here to experience happiness, and if we aren't experiencing that then we are not living up to our potential and privlidges.  As I have studied the simple things I've known all my life again, I learn that I really don't understand them all that much.
My Spanish is improving a lot. I am trying to do better at being effective with my study time. Sometimes I don't know what to study, and I probably don't do things exactly right. But as I do the best I can the spirit helps me SO much. I am able to remember the things I learn all the time and it is such a blessing.
I'm not sure what all to write because we kind of do the same things everyday, and I don't want to be repetitive. But here are a few highlights of the week. 
We were in our classroom and the elders got a little bit distracted and started throwing and kicking markers at each other haha. But I was studying something and literally at least 4 times a marker was headed strait at me and should have hit me, but it would either bounce and go the other direction or barely miss me. So they all said I was like Samuel the Lamanite haha. It was kind of awesome.
Oh and Mom, those cinnamon rolls were delicious. I made some new friends through sharing them so that's a plus too. They really were really good. 
Yesterday, this guy in my zone named Elder Summers gave everyone shirts from this 5K his parents were in charge of or something. So we all wore these kind of nerdy looking race shirts that are red white and blue to gym. It was on Thursday so all the new Elders and Sisters at the MTC were really confused when we all came in matching and running together haha. 
We got another companion this week so we are now a trio. His name is Elder Neher, he's from Arizona. Its interesting being in a trio. I'm learning a lot. It makes teaching a little more complicated, but it really is such a great learning experience. 
In 3 weeks and 3 days I will be in the actual mission field (maybe in Argentina) teaching people and talking to people in Spanish. It is seriously so mind blowing to me. It doesn't seem real. And when I think about it, I feel like I have lots of reasons to be scared. I probably won't understand half of what the people are saying, they probably won't understand me, I might not know what to say,... the list could go on and on. But as I was thinking about this I realized, I really am not scared. For me, being scared comes from thinking about myself or my own weaknesses, and this is not a time to think about me. I am excited to go out and serve and help people. I know that this work really is the work of God and His gospel brings SO much happiness to the world. I am so grateful to be able to serve Him in these incredible times. I love you all!
Mucho Amor,
Elder Heath Tenney

No comments:

Post a Comment