Monday, October 14, 2013

They could not bear that any human soul should perish

1810 Winston Dr.
St. Marys, OH 45885


From: "Heath Tenney" 
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2013 11:49:55 AM
Subject: "They could not bear that any human soul should perish"

Hey!
I hope everyone is doing well!
 
So here is my week:
We had a great lesson with Dustin. We decided beforehand we were going to give him some time to act on his faith for his own, but he came to Priesthood pretty much on his own, so we thought he might be ready to act. He told us that he knew it was time. He said he was feeling lonely and sad, and prayed saying, "God, I just need a friend. I need your help." Then moments later, we texted him inviting him to conference and saying "we hope you are doing well!" So he knew that was a sign from God. We had a powerful lesson with him that was so guided by the spirit. We watched part of President Uchtdorf's talk, and read with him about Nephi. He is scared to change his churches, he doesn't know what will happen, but he knows he needs to. So we invited him to act on his faith and trust God like Nephi did, and come to church. We then knelt down with him and invited him to pray to ask the Lord when He wants Dustin to be baptized. The spirit was so strong, and after praying he decided on Nov. 16th. It is the most incredible feeling knowing that you were a tool in the hands of the Lord saying what He wants you to say, doing what He wants you to do.
We also had several great lessons with Joey. We watched the Restoration DVD with him and he seemed to love it. The spirit was there and it hit him. After the video ended, I testified with my heart, as powerfully as I could, that this was true. That Joseph Smith truly was God's chosen prophet and THAT is why it is so important that you read the Book of Mormon, because that is how you can know for yourself. Our next lesson, it was just Joey, no one else from his family was there, and it was so powerful. I don't remember what all I said, but we were bold and loving with him. He said he is scared to go to church because of what his family will say, and I asked him, "Joey, do you think God wants you to go to church?" ".........yeah....probably so." he replied. "Then what else really matters?" I said.
We read earlier that day in Mosiah 28:3 how the sons of Mosiah could not bear the thought of any soul suffering endless torment, the very thought caused them to quake. They loved the people SO much. And I prayed, telling Heavenly Father, "I want that kind of love. Please help me to have that." I definitely don't have it perfectly and for all souls, but in that lesson, I felt it for Joey. I really have never felt such an overwhelming love and desire for someone's happiness. I love Joey SO much. In lessons, when I am praying in my heart for him to feel the spirit, I almost get tired, because it feels like I am just pouring out my soul for him. I want this SO much for him. So please pray for Joey.

We had an amazing Zone training meeting this week which was great. I was blessed to be able to go on exchanges with Elder Bullock this week! He is such a powerful missionary. At the end of the day, we were talking to each other in excitement about what an incredible time this is and how true this great work really is, and in our simple conversation the spirit was there so strong. He paused, looked at me, and said, "Is it okay if we bear our testimonies to each other right now? The spirit is just so strong." So we bore our testimonies to each other. It was a moment I will never forget. It made me even more grateful for the sacred opportunity to be a servant of Jesus Christ.
Sadly, no one came to church again this week. It was really disappointing, but I can honestly say I am not disappointed in myself. We have done all we can, prayed as fervently as we can, sought Heaven's guidance, so now we can only invite and pray. So I have great reason to rejoice. I really feel so much love for every single person I meet here, and it fills my soul with gratitude and joy.
I am so grateful for all the many blessings Heavenly Father has blessed us with this week. I am so excited to tell you all about the miracles we will see this week! I love you! Have a great week!
 
"Service is the very fiber of which Celestial beings are made of." - President Vellinga
 
Love,
 
Elder Heath Tenney

No comments:

Post a Comment